Saturday, January 6, 2007

Antigua

Hello all!

I've got to be super quick! (very little time to write). I hope you're all well. Matt, Jenny, and I arrived in Guate last night, and we're in Antigua right now. Look it up - it's a UNESCO site - very beautiful, but full of other North American/European tourists though. We thought we 'd stay here for at least a week of Spanish language school, but we're heading out tomorrow for a smaller, quieter (?) town called San Pedro de la Laguna on Lago de Atitlan, which is in the highlands. It has the cheapest accommodation in the country and some of the best Spanish language schools . . . you can even take courses in some of the Mayan languages! Way to much fun! We're having a great time and we're safe and well. I'll write more when I have the chance in San Pedro. (We'll be there for at least a week - probably longer).

Adios,
Ben

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ben! sounds like a great trip!
I am incredibly jealous. learn something in Mayan for me!
Chris

Amanda said...

Hey Ben, you're going to have to teach me a few things when you get back then! Take care, you'll flourish with the challenges of new languages!
Amanda

JorMac said...

Antigua rawks! I have so many friends there...
My friend's spanish school is called "latino america spanish academy" or something the like. it should be about two blocks west of the square and one block north.
the website is http://www.guacalling.com/lasa/default.htm
and it has the address :)
it's a good school - but i'm sure there are good schools in San Pedro de la Laguna. (i've been around there, but not to that little town specifically) I was actually living in a small town just south of Antigua called "San Pedro las Huertas" (well, San Pedro el Alto, which is in San Pedro las Huertas)

well if you do make it back to Antigua feel free to go say hi to José, he runs that school, if you have a minute, tell him Jordan (McEwan) says hi, and see how his french is. (and, again if you have time and feel like it, tell him i haven't heard from him in a while and I don't think my emails are getting through to him anymore)


anyway - have fun in the alma de la tierra.
hope all is well.